Friday, March 13, 2009

Yarns, Planting & Faded Flowers

My mixed fibres yarn (bamboo, nylon, wool, silk, banana...) has spun up really well. I began by carding the silk waste, banana fibre etc. to make them spinable, then carded all the different fibres together to blend them. I then carded these rolags together to blend the fibres even more, but left some distinct little pockets of colour. Here are the finished rolags.


I then simply spun these rolags and plied off into a 2ply yarn. The finished yarn is seen here with the other yarns I've been spinning recently; L to R they are: 75% merino, 25 % silk chunky 2ply; 50% silk cap plied with 50% silk waste; mixed wool and suri alpaca worsted single; the finished yarn (bamboo, banana, nylon, wool, silk); single spun from a silk cap; wool/banana mix, spun from a rolag carded by my teacher Carol.


The greenhouse is already doing its job and is always several degrees warmer than outside - on one sunny day it even reached 30 C! At the moment we have a trestle table in there where we put our seed trays. This week I have sown celery and our first successions of parnsips and mixed lettuces.

My okra seedlings are still inside however, and are looking nice and healthy. Only 2 out of 3 ca
me up but there is still time for me to resow the other one.



And finally, here are some pictures of a faded bunch of flowers - I'm forming an idea for some artwork based on these.


No comments: