Monday, March 30, 2009

White House Veg Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTISywReu4o

Michelle Obama has started a vegetable patch in the White House gardens with the help of local school children.

It's nice to see high-profile figures taking steps towards a lower-impact lifestyle. Even if it's only baby steps, at least it's a start, and just think how many people will be inspired to start their own veg gardens and find out more about growing your own!

Sadly the newsreader seems intent upon telling people that nasturtiums and marigolds are inedible. I'm not sure I'd eat the African marigolds that we grow, but calendula is meant to be very good; I think I read somewhere that Shakespeare said that eating it makes you happy, and apparently my great-granny used to pickle nasturtium seeds to use instead of capers. Nasturtium leaves and flowers are edible and I use them in my salads during the summer.



No comments: