Sunday, March 15, 2009

Bee Plants

Today Dad and I cleared up a load of frames, and took some clean supers to our hives. The bees aren't filling them up yet; instead we put them on top of the coverboard. This means that the bees can't get to them, but they're already on site and by the time the bees get into them they should already smell like home.

The bees at our second out-apiary were really busy - they totally ignored us and bees with HUGE pollen sacks were coming in faster than I could count them. The nuc at the association out-apiary was busy too. What was our strongest hive last year however seemed to be going a bit slower - we had a quick look when we checked their pollen patty and couldn't see many bees. They may have had a hard winter. However, they were still collecting, so hopefully they'll build up quickly.

There are lots of bee plants in pollen now. We've seen flurescent orange and creamy white crocus pollen, pale yellow hazel, and now some brighter yellow. The gorse is in flower, as are the pussy willow and blackthorn, and I've seen ornamental cherries in bloom too. There should be lots of tree pollens coming out now. All in all, the season is under way! Our spring inspection will take place in 2 weeks, weather permitting.

And now, I leave you with pictures of our front garden, which contains a mixture of edibles and ornamentals.

Primroses and something purple - apparently primroses make a good wine.

Wallflower buds - edible flowers, I believe. Apparently lots of people dig up wallflowers after the first year and replace them with new plants. Our plants are looking a bit leggy, so we have tied them up, but apart from that replacing them seems mad to me - this is their second year and they're already starting to flower.



Currant bush coming into leaf!


Pansies - edible. The name comes from the French pensee, which means thought. These are also in their second year - I think I put these in in December 2007. They flower for ages and clearly they can survive the winter and live to flower again!


The first tiny pink forget-me-not flowers (not edible, as far as I know). I can't wait for them to be in full bloom.

No comments: