Monday, December 1, 2008

REVIEW: The Transition Handbook by Rob Hopkins






I have been reading the Transition Handbook by Rob Hopkins recently. I'd heard a few things about it (but not much) and had seen it on Amazon, so I got it out of my local library.



Before reading it, I didn't have a clue what the Transition approach was, except for a foggy understanding that it was something to do with green issues.

This book is a real inspiration; reading it has changed my whole perspective on what we are doing to our planet and possible consequences of our actions. But more than that, it has really inspired me to take action, and I can't wait to get going.

The book presents strong arguments and backs them up well; although some of it does make me feel a bit bewildered, I'm sure that more research would clarify some things for me, and the Transition Handbook has loads of resources and ideas to help with that.

I like the balance struck in this book. Split into three parts - the head, heart and hands - it starts with facts and figures, some of which are depressing and most of which really shocked me. However, it goes on to share a positive vision of what the future could be like if we act now. This bit was so wonderful to read I nearly cried! Sure, there are scary statistics, but Hopkins balances these out by showing what we can do to change them.

I also like the fact that it is all about acting as a community - Hopkins clearly holds no illusions that if everyone switches to energy efficient lightbulbs we'll be all right, but neither does he trust government to sort it all out. The book has a real "power to the people" feel about it. It describes practical things you can do and after reading it, I don't feel at all powerless or hopeless.

I would reccommend this book to anyone interested in green issues, and to sceptics. It will really make you think and might even change your views. 9/10.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to an article about my Dad's friend, Geoff Galliver, an experienced beekeeper.

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/news/s/2039298_buzz_is_building_over_bee_crisis

Other articles of interest:

http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/lifestyle/home_and_garden/s/2001053_ladybirds_and_bees
http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/lifestyle/home_and_garden/s/41048_bees_are_the_best

No comments: