Monday, June 23, 2008

The Tomatillo That Isn't A Tomatillo

I am sorry, I have misled you.

I've written on here before that I am growing a tomatillo, but I was wrong. Same family, different species, though.



I'd been a bit suspicious as I had seen tomatillo seed packets going round garden centres and the thing on the front looked nothing like the thing I'm growing in the green house. Whereas the seed packet tomatillos looked small and bushy my one was a huge brutish monster already pressed against the greenhouse ceiling, and much taller than my mother and even my father by now. (The picture shows it when it was small and sweet...now it is reaching for the skies).

So after a little research I have discovered that what I am growing is actually Physalis peruviana, the Cape gooseberry, rather than Physalis philadelphica, the tomatillo. Same family, different species.

I am slightly nervous now becuase even though my plant still hasn't show any signs of flowers, let alone fruit, I have read that they are poisonous when unripe, and that there are reports that unripe ones can even kill cattle. Picking them when unripe is just the sort of mistake that I would be likely to make, so I must be careful.

Everything else is going fine. There's been so much going on though that blogging about it just seemed like too much trouble. Suffice to say the following:
  • We now have four full sized hives on the go, having gone and caught a swarm
  • We now have a nucleus on the go
  • Two lovely new Hawaiian cross queens on the go

  • Daughter of the Grumpiest Queen Known To Man in the nuc
  • Having been to a disease recognition day with our regional bee inspector, my father is now the fount of all knowledge when it comes to bee diseases
  • We now have a small hive beetle trap to put into one of our hives, making us a tester hive (can't remember the jargony word...tester will do)
  • Mad rabbit number 2 has escpaed twice over the past week, and has decided to make a warren in my celery bed twice as well. I have no idea how she gets in, what with all my netting, staples and bamboo palisade. She may have to be locked up for good. Or roasted


Yes, she looks the picture of innocence here, but wait till her double chin is covered in the results of hours of hard work!!

  • Garden otherwise alright, millions of pea pods fattening up!

  • First courgette harvest! Small but succulent...

  • Went to Wales, spent a day out at the Gower peninsula...absolutely gorgeous!!
  • Chickens no longer broody. A brief spell in the broody coop (well, ok, it's a puppy cage really, but it worked) set them straight
  • We have at least one newt living in our pond!!!

Ahhh. It's a good life.

1 comment:

SablePhoenix said...

Sorry I haven't commented sooner, I've only just worked out how to do so :)
It sounds like you're busy, busy, busy in the garden. And please don't roast Willow- she's too cute! Floz xx